Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week 7 - Ashley

My last week of clinical immersion I decided to try the other departments I hadn't been to. My first experience was in the MICU (Medical Intensive Care Unit). Rounds started at 730 AM and our first patient was brought in for overuse of alcohol. She was unresponsive and on a ventilator since the night before she was admitted. The attending surgeon recommended keeping an eye on her until the team could get her fully awake. We saw many patients that day, but the one that grabbed my attention was a patient with a bacterial infection that was negatively affecting his whole immune system. The most intense part of the situation was that he could not speak English, and always pointed at his son to make his medical situations. There was still a communication barrier, but son was able to make the necessary decisions for his father because his father was giving him consent. 

I also decided to do an OB shift this week, and got an amazing experience in triage and in labor and delivery. The most exciting surgery I witnessed was a planned C-section. The surgery began with an epidural being placed, and the first cutting followed shortly after. The fascia was first removed to expose the uterus, and slowly the water broke and the baby's head followed. The umbilical cord was then clamped and cut. The baby was prepped and handed to the father standing nearby. The placenta was completely removed, and the uterus was then sewn back up. The procedure was relatively fast, safe, and completely memorable. This particular experience stands out from my entire experience. 

To sum up this summer, it was a completely unforgettable experience. I have met fascinating individuals that have taught me so much. I'm really thankful to have had the opportunity to meet and be mentored by excellent clinicians in their field. A special thanks to Dr. Lane for being a great mentor and allowing me to shadow him the entire summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment